Saturday, June 4, 2011

Do I need a door stop?

They say that all great things must come to an end.  Well, I refuse to accept that with arms wide open and a grin just because they say so; especially when those great things involve my girls growing up too fast.
My oldest, Molly, will be attending Junior High in the fall.  I'm not even sure when that happened.  In a blink of an eye she went from the most adorable cooing baby to a tween with an attitude and weird taste in clothes (she does look good in those skinny jeans though).  All this time I managed to fool myself into believing that she was still my sweet innocent little girl because the backtalk and the fact that she knows it all didn't slap me in the face hard enough.  Then I spent 12 hours with her and 80 of her 5th grade classmates walking the Freedom Trail in Boston. 
She was able to visit the places she learned about in the classroom, and I was forced to look at and accept reality.  My baby girl is growing up whether I want her to or not.
You don't have to like it when the door closes on something great; you just have to open your eyes and yourself to the next great thing coming in.
We both learned something on that hot and humid day in Boston (there IS a Dunkin' Donuts on every corner).
Molly is a beautiful, friendly, smart young lady with a great sense of humor.  I'm proud to be her mom, and I'm looking forward to walking hand in hand with her through the next door to all the wonderful things yet to be (this time I'm wearing a helmet).
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!