Thursday, September 8, 2011

...Perfection...

per-fec-tion (n):  the condition, state, or quality of being free or as free as possible from all flaws or defects.

I grew up being told that nobody was perfect, and I honestly believe that, but I sometimes forget that everything I do doesn't have to be.  I'm constantly striving for perfection; especially when creating.  I have this feeling that if someone is going to be paying for it then it has to be perfect.  I realize that any art is a personal taste and not everyone is going to like what I create, but I have a hard time swallowing that pill.

So, in order to work on this 'fault' of mine, I've decided that I should dabble in the world of mixed media.  Something that looks so interesting and beautiful to me but is far from having a specific balance or reason.
My very first attempt was a small canvas that held personal meaning only to me.  I don't really like it, but this is what I finished with based on my feelings at the time...and isn't that what art is...feelings transformed and interpreted for the eye?
I painted the eyes with acrylics...not knowing exactly what I wanted to do.  I added some stamps, writing and cutouts.  The end result wasn't exactly what I had in mind, and I honestly don't think it's something worthy of any wall.

My second attempt was a little better because I took some time and thought about what I wanted to do before I actually started.  That's the key.  Just like in any other medium...plan, plan, plan.
Though I'm happy with it and listed it in my Etsy shop, I still think it's far from being what I believe this 'experiement' is about.  I took way too long, and by that I mean, I really debated with myself on what would fit and what wouldn't....trying for perfection.  You'll notice that she doesn't have a face.  That wasn't anything planned.  I just couldn't get it right so I left it blank.  I'm not so sure that's how this works...it should have been a conscious decision.  At least in my inexperienced opinion.

I ended up being a little gun shy and disappointed with myself...again that perfection factor, so I left the mixed media thing alone for a while.  I went to Borders the other day (everything was 80% off and that makes me sad, but that's a whole different post), and I picked up a couple of books on mixed media. 
I purchased one written by Julie Nutting because it was exactly what I had in mind when I thought about myself creating something in the mixed media world.  Her creations are so beautiful and fun.  I read it from cover to cover and ended up duplicating one of her creations just to practice the techniques.  I added a few of my own touches here and there, and the end result is something that I'm proud of because I managed the techniques.
However, it's not exactly an original design, and so I'm not happy with it.

Maybe I'm on the right track and maybe I'm not destined to create in the mixed media world, but I'm not giving up just yet.  Practice makes perfect, right? 

I do have to admit to being as close to perfect as one can get at least three times in my life.

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll be sharing a couple of challenges I'm participating in sometime in the next few days.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!