Thursday, September 29, 2011

...Crush on flags...(with an update)

It used to be that whenever someone mentioned flags and banners sailing and signaling flags came to mind.
 
Signaling flags are composed of different colors, shapes, and markings, which used alone or in combination, spell out different messages. The flags include 26 square flags for the letters of the alphabet and ten numeral pendants. The colors of the flags were selected because they are the most distinguishable at sea - red, blue, yellow, black, and white.



 
Besides providing maritime communication, signal flags are used to dress ships for ceremonial and festive occasions. Mariners string the flags end-to-end and hang them from the rigging in a bow-to-stern direction.



Being a resourceful and adaptable group, paper crafters started using both flags and banners to dress up everything from layouts to cards quite some time ago.  I remember the first time I saw a colorful banner on a birthday card...I fell in love.  It added such a whimsical, fun feel.  Flags and banners are one of my favorite elements to add to a project.
 
In this first card, I used the mini flags as tails to the medallion ribbon.  Layered vintage sheet music and embossed card stock...just lovely, don't you think?
 
Materials used:  card stock, printed vintage image, DCWV paper, K&Company paper, vintage doily, vintage sheet music, Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Antique Linen, crinkle seam binding, vintage buttons, baker's twine, tag, Hot Off the Press clear stamp sentiment, Kaiser adhesive pearl and Jolee's pearl bling.
This next card uses the same mini flags but in varying sizes and patterns.  I positioned white lace stickers over the top of the flags for balance.
 
Materials used:  card stock, Crafty Secrets paper, DCWV paper, Tattered Angels Glimmer Chips, Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Tea Dye, vintage lace, paper doily, Tsukineko chalk ink in Malted Mauve, stamped sentiment, Hot Off the Press Dazzle lace stickers, leaves, American Crafts rose trim, and Prima adhesive pearl.
So, what's not to crush on?  Flags and banners in varying sizes, colors, and patterns can be used on any type of paper craft without breaking the bank...all you need is paper and a pair of scissors.  Though I have to admit to having just purchased the 'Build a Banner' stencil from Hot Off the Press.  Well worth the cost since I'm not one to measure twice and cut once.  The stencil has only enhanced my crush.
 
What's your favorite element to add to a paper project?
I'd love to see some of your favorites, so be sure and post a link with your comment so that I can stop by and take a look.
Have a wonderful day!
 
                 
Update:  I've put myself out there and entered my "Wishes" card in a contest over at Practical Scrappers, so if you feel so inclined (and without any form of bribery on my part) head on over and leave a comment expressing how much you love my card.  You can vote on up to three different cards each day until October 6th.  Leave some love, folks! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!