Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Journaling is a BEAUTIFUL thing...

I began journaling at a young age.  I have stacks of old journals in a variety of forms...from old notebooks to elaborately adorned pieces of art.  I sometimes go back and read them; thankful that I established a habit of writing down the events of the day and how I felt at the time.  I realize that every letter, every word, sentence, and paragraph is a time in my life that has led up to the person I am today.  Not every entry is a happy one, but I've grown from both the good and bad in my life.  Of course, I have a pact with my sister, that if anything should ever happen to me, she is to burn every last one of my journals.  I write for me.  It's my private outlet not meant for anyone else. 

There are those who write for the benefit of others...as a legacy or a history, and I think that's admirable.  It's my opinion that these types of journals should be pretty to look as well as functional, so I create them from vintage books with lots of embellished divider pages.  I also like to include secret pockets and envelopes for keeping little treasures.  It's my hope that it will inspire someone who doesn't normally journal to start.

One of my latest creations is the BEAUTIFUL journal.
The cover isn't anything more than heavy card stock that I covered in acrylic paint and glue to give it a distressed crackle look.  It almost looks like aged wood to me.
It's bound with "o" rings so that one could rearrange the pages or add more at any time.
I like to add vintage images to most of my journals...they just remind me of the beautiful days gone by.  I also think they tell a story and isn't that what journaling is?
I add tags that are pretty and functional.  You could use them to highlight a particular page or as a bookmark.
There are always secret pockets here and there for storing little trinkets and treasures.
I like to include inspiring quotes as well.
Each divider page is a one-of-a-kind piece of art that tells a story.  It's up to the journaler to interpret what it means for them.
Envelopes can hold little notes written outside the journal...maybe a poem created on a napkin.
I love handmade paper and try to include it whenever I can as well standard lined paper for functionality.  One doesn't have to just write in a journal...you could paste photos, sketch, or paint what you feel on a particular day.
One of my favorite things to create is a journal.  I absolutely love the thought of someone using it to record a precious memory...a precious life.  I also create custom journals based on certain themes or ideas for my customers.  I've created Baby Journals, Wedding Journals, Dating Journals, journals with specific themes such as fairies or all white.  Those are the most fun to create, and I hold each one dear to my heart knowing it's something that will be cherished for a lifetime.

You can find my journals at Reverie Creations on Etsy.  I'm always adding new items, so be sure and stop by often, and if you'd like me to create a custom journal just for you, all you have to do is let me know.  I'd be honored to work with you on it.

Thank you for spending some time with me, and I hope I've inspired you to start journaling.
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!