Tuesday, January 10, 2012

..."Map To Your Heart" ~ Challenge 1 of 52...


Last year I made a "New" Year's resolution (of sorts...it was in June or July that I put my hand over my heart and swore to the powers that be).  I promised myself, and those of you who follow my blog, that I would create a tag representing each and every month for an entire year.  So far so good.  I've managed to create 6 tags with only 6 to go.  You can find links to the completed tags here:

Since it's a brand new year, I thought I'd make a true New Year's resolution and promise to participate in at least one challenge every week.  That's 52 challenges when it's all said and done!   It'll be a great way for me to stay on top of the trends and connect with other crafters.  Besides, any items I create can be listed in my Etsy shop for sale, so really it's a win-win.

My very first challenge in this new year is Moxie Fab's "Map To Your Heart Challenge"
We were asked to use a little innovation and incorporate a map into our paper project.  I have to admit that I've been using maps of all styles for quite some time now for everything from gift bows
 and cards
to altered books
and journals.

So, I figured I should do something extremely innovative given I've used maps in a variety of ways already.  After a few days of thinking about it (and thinking about it some more), I finally came up with an idea to create Puffed Vintage Map Hearts.  With Valentine's Day right around the corner, the timing couldn't be more perfect.
I used an old map of California and cut out three different size hearts in duplicate.  I machine stitched around the outside - leaving a small opening to fill each with a bit of poly-fill then hand stitched the opening.  Each heart was embellished with vintage buttons, lace and an old dress pattern for the flowers.

I think they'd look sweet sitting together in a small bowl or hanging from a piece of ribbon as a decorative accent off a shelf peg or doorknob.  A small gesture of love goes a long way, so don't forget that someone special this Valentine's Day.

If you'd like to join me in my New Year's resolution, Moxie Fab World has some truly inspiring weekly challenges, and they're a lot of fun!!

Thanks again for stopping by, and have a wonderful day!
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!