Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tranquil Moments Journal

Hello again, Friends. I've got another journal/memory album to share with you. This one is made from a 1927 Trigonometry book that my Grandfather used back in his days at the University of Maine in Orono. It's quite special because of some handwritten notes here and there, so I decided to use it as a gift for my cousin's birthday. She'll certainly appreciate it. I kept the colors more romantic and serene and filled it with images of flowers and butterflies. It measures approximately 4.75" x 6.75" and contains over 40 lined pages for journaling. I also made 4 divider pages with lots of little pockets for secret notes and other mementos. The entire journal hasn't been put together as of yet since I'm still trying to decide on whether to use "o" rings or another method, but it can be tied shut with the attached vintage button and ribbon.
The first page actually came from the original book and shows my Grandfathers handwritten name (along with the name of the person who had it before him). I thought my cousin would appreciate this page immensely, so I left it in and stamped a small flourish in the bottom right hand corner.

The first divider page is covered in Webster's Pages paper with a metal bookplate. You'll also notice the bookmark that I created out of the covers spine.

On the reverse side of the first divider and onto the second, I used pages from the original book and machine stitched pockets onto it with vintage lace. I tucked a printed vintage advertising image inside the pocket and added a hand stamped tag with a button and torn linen. At the top of the page, I included an embellished bobby pin (with vintage buttons). The other side of the bobby pin is also embellished. I was inspired by all those handmade hair accessories popping up all over the Internet. Love how it turned out!


The third divider page is also covered in original pages with one side painted and the other displaying a vintage 1930s bingo card and a printed image of a dictionary butterfly display. The frame was hand cut and heat embossed, wrapped with seam binding with a crepe paper rose and a floral stick pin.

Again I used original book pages to cover the last divider page...the more of the book I used, the better I felt about ripping it apart. Though Trigonometry was never my favorite subject. Some more machine stitched pockets and vintage lace. I embellished with ribbon roses, fabric leaves and heat embossed chipboard flourishes. I'm not sure you can see it clearly, but I also stamped the pages with a large stamp that I created out of cork board. Little vintage images are tucked inside the pockets for added interest.


Again, I added more than 40 pages of lined paper for journaling, drawing, or gluing. A great place to write poetry and post pictures of anything that inspires.

I had so much fun creating this journal/memory album for my cousin, and I hope she enjoys using it.
I appreciate the time you spend with me, and I hope you'll stop back by soon. Have a wonderful day!!
Warmly,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!