Friday, July 18, 2014

Throw Back Thursday - Days of Summer

It's unfathomable that we're already half way through summer vacation, and then I'm reminded by the ever growing dark circles under my eyes that maybe I should be happier.  Mediating impossible arguments between my girls over such things as teeth and dirty socks has made it painfully clear that my 'patience-to-number of summer days left' ratio is way off.  Of course, I have to take some of the blame for the expanding baggage...I stay up later than I should tending to the mundane chores like paying bills, catching up on business correspondence, laundry, etc. etc. etc.  I can't be the only Mom wishing for longer days.

June through August is when I get to spend a lot of time with the girls making sweet special memories.  We've beached it up and down the coast, visited the zoo, participated in summer sports and made day trips here, there and everywhere, but no matter how perfect the day starts the infamous argument over who sits where on the ride home ends it with me speaking through gritted teeth.  ;)
40 days 7 hours and 54 minutes until the first day of school.

Ogunquit Beach looking for shells
Gray Animal Farm
Field Hockey game at Deering HS
Boston Tea Party Tour
In celebration of summer and Throw Back Thursday (#TBT), I found these old photos of my sister and I from one of our summer vacations to Florida.  I'm not sure how old we were, but I distinctly remember that we got along MOST of the time.  My poor parents.  Being a single mother certainly isn't easy, but I am extremely grateful for my beautiful girls and wouldn't change a single thing.  Except maybe a third row seat.

When I've had enough of playing referee, I head to my studio where I can recharge and even out (this usually happens late at night after they've gone to bed).  Being creative always helps.  This week I again participated in Mojo Monday's sketch challenge.
I found a vintage Victorian seaside image and the rest, as they say, is history.
 Lots of layering and texture using burlap, metal brads (K&Co.) and wooden embellishments.  I also added one of the seashells the girls and I found on Ogunquit Beach!
The paper is a mishmash from my stash:  Daisy Ds, My Mind's Eye (Lost & Found), and DCWV.  The buttons are vintage and their tied up with waxed string and gold bakers twine.  I was happy with the way it turned out, but most importantly, I got in some creative time to myself.

Summer is almost over (here in the North East any way), so get out there and enjoy it!
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!