Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Scavenger of Grunge

Image credit:  Pinterest

I prefer using darker tones in my creations...grunge-like shades of really any color, but I gravitate towards the reds, browns and creams.  I also love to use found items...anything with a history.  The more wear - the better.  Besides, instead of having something just sit on a shelf or in a jewelry box because of it's history, up-cycle it into something new and appreciate it in a different way.

You can also utilize every day items found in your home (in your kitchen, home office or junk drawer) during these up-cycle projects rather than spending money on embellishments at your local craft store.
I created this mixed media piece a while back with quite a few things found around the house.


How many every day items can you spot?


There are scraps of vintage sheet music, a wine cork, some old screen, a bottle cap, a tape measure, bits of burlap and lace, vintage buttons, an old key, a shipping tag, seam binding, a piece of leather from an old belt, some wire and a paper doily.

Purchased embellishments are as follows:
Tim Holtz Grunge Chipboard Heart and Plastic Watch Face
Melissa Francis Resin Angel Wings and Door
Melissa Francis  'Party' Journal Card
Prima Bead Sprig and Blossom
K&Company Paper Daisy
Joann's Glitter Leave
Jenni Bowlin 'Hope' Ticket

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not it's something I want to frame.  Any suggestions?

This fun Americana banner was created using scrap denim, bits of vintage lace, string, vintage buttons and book pages....again, things you'd find around your home.


The background of each flag was created using TCW's mini Ledger Template and StazOn ink in Timber Brown.  I added the hand cut card stock star and machine stitched it for texture and interest.
I love that this item could fit nicely in a home with either a Primitive or Shabby decor.
You can purchase this flag banner in our 'New Items' section at Reverie Creations.

So, truth be told...I'm a scavenger of sorts.  You'll find me going through that large box of junk jewelry and buttons at the flea market and buying up all the old hard cover books.  Sometimes the best treasures are the grungy small ones.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a fantastic day!!
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Please stop back again soon!